February – The Study of Balls!
For the next two weeks, students will learn about balls. As we investigate this topic, we will work together to find the answers to our theme questions. Some of the questions include: Do all balls bounce?, What makes balls move?, Who uses balls?, and What are balls made of?
Some of the books we will be reading this week are:
• A Birthday Basket for Tia by Pat Mora
• The Little Red Hen by Bonnie Dobkin
• The Doorbell Rang by Pat Hutchins
• Bounce by Doreen Cronin
Lessons and activities for the theme:
Math – Students will be able to sort and match different sizes and types of balls.
Art – Children will be able to draw balls or construct a sphere out of paper.
Blocks – Students will have balls of various sizes and be able to construct ramps to roll the balls.
Pretend Play – Students will have balls added to pretend play to 'play ball' with the dolls and each other.
Writing- Students will be able to draw a picture of what they learned from the classroom read-aloud regarding balls.
Science - Students will be able to construct ramps of different heights to see how fast a ball will roll.
• Class will be dismissed at 12 p.m. on Friday, February 5th, for Parent-Teacher Conferences. Conferences will be held in the classroom from 1 p.m. to 7 p.m.
• Please see Alba or Brianna in the office to discuss registering for kindergarten here at OLQM. ALL students are eligible for financial aid!
• February 9th, 2016 is our Valentine’s Day Show! The show will take place in the gymnasium at 9 a.m.
Recommended Home to School Connection:
Universal Handwriting book:
Monday – Page 63
Tuesday – Page 64
Wednesday – Page 66
Thursday – Page 67
Friday - Have a great weekend!