January – The Study of Balls!
For the next three weeks, students will learn about balls. As we investigate this topic, we will work together to find the answers to our theme questions. Some of the questions include: Do all balls bounce?, What makes balls move?, Who uses balls?, and What are balls made of?
Some of the books we will be reading this week are:
• A Birthday Basket for Tia by Pat Mora
• The Doorbell Rang by Pat Hutchins
• Bounce by Doreen Cronin
Lessons and activities for the theme:
Math – Students will be able to sort and match different sizes and types of balls.
Art – Children will be able to draw balls or construct a sphere out of paper.
Blocks – Students will have balls of various sizes and be able to construct ramps to roll the balls.
Pretend Play – Students will have balls added to pretend play to 'play ball' with the dolls and each other.
Writing- Students will be able to draw a picture of what they learned from the classroom read-aloud regarding balls.
Science - Students will be able to construct ramps of different heights to see how fast a ball will roll.
• School will be closed Friday, January 29th, for Teacher Workshop Day.
• February 9th, 2016 is our Valentine’s Day Show! The show will take place in the gymnasium at 9 a.m.
• Financial Aid will be available for students entering Kindergarten here at OLQM. Alba and Brianna in the office will be of assistance in filing for financial aid. Through the generosity of donors to the Archdiocese this financial aid will be available for ALL students entering Kindergarten in 2016. An information packet will be sent home this week and Mr. Woods will quickly speak to parents on Thursday, 8:30 AM in the Parent Conference room regarding registration for Kindergarten.
Recommended Home to School Connection:
Universal Handwriting book:
Monday – Page 60
Tuesday – Page 61
Wednesday – Page 62
Thursday – Have a great weekend!