Theme for the Unit:
Enduring understandings that the student should have by the end of the unit:
- I use transportation to get to pre-K and other places.
- We use different types of transportation for different reasons.
- Vehicles move in different ways.
- Some vehicles are operated by community helpers such as bus drivers, conductors, firefighters, police officers, and mail carriers.
- There are many ways to stay safe when using transportation.
Lessons and activities for the week:
Blocks- Students are invited to create a variety of ramps and use different vehicles to race, predicting which one will go down the fastest and why.
Pretend Play- Pretend Play will be transformed into a fire station. Students are invited to create a fire truck using large pieces of cardboard.
Art- The art table will be covered in butcher paper, and students are invited to paint or draw train tracks. Students will then build their own trains and use them on the tracks.
Science- Students are invited to create paper airplanes (with teacher support) and then asked if their plane will fly, why or why not?
Math- Students will be invited to match numbered cars to their corresponding spots in a "parking lot"
Library- Students are invited to sequence the pictures and retell a familiar story, using a felt board.
Writing/Technology- Weekly learning games on iPads are provided.
Sensory- Sand and water, or play-doh.
Some of the books we will read this week are:
- Whose Vehicle Is This? by Sharon Katz Cooper
- Things That Go! Collection by National Geographic Kids
Recommended Home School Connection:
Monday – Math News Worksheet
Tuesday – Universal Handwriting Book pages 13 and 14
Wednesday - Universal Handwriting Book pages 15 and 16
Friday – Have a great weekend!
Reminders / Notices:
· School is CLOSED on Thursday, January 26th for Teacher Conference Day.
If there are any questions regarding the Pre-K for All program that can not be answered by the office or classroom teacher, please feel free to contact the
Help Line at 888-227-8175