Theme for the month:
My Five Senses!
Enduring understandings that the student should have by the end of the unit:
• There are five senses. They are smell, taste, touch, sight and hearing.
• We use our senses to understand our bodies, learn what they need, and keep us safe.
• We use our senses to learn about the people, places, objects, and environment around us.
• We experience and interact with the world differently when our senses, such as vision or hearing, are impaired.
Lessons and activities for the week:
Blocks- Children are encouraged to use blocks that are covered with green and/or brown paper to make them look like tree parts. Students will be able to explore how they feel and look compared to the other blocks in the block area.
Pretend Play- Children are invited to explore lengths of fabric in various textures (silky, burlap, terry cloth, etc.). The students will be able to discuss the way the fabrics feel as they select which pieces they would like to use.
Art- Various leaves collected from a neighborhood walk will be added to our art center. Children will be invited to use finger paints and discuss how the paint feels.
Science- A "Feely Box" will be added to the science center. Students are invited to put their hands in the holes of the box and identify the object using only their sense of touch.
Math- Materials of various textures will be added to the manipulative area.
Library- Students are invited to look at our classroom books and discuss what they see with their peers.
Writing/Technology- Weekly learning games on iPads are provided.
Sensory- Sand and water, or play-doh.
Some of the books we will read this week are:
• Brown Bear, Brown Bear What Do You See? by Eric Carle
• I See Myself by Vicki Cobb
• Our Senses by Adrienne Betz
Recommended Home School Connection:
Tuesday – Math News Worksheet
Wednesday - Universal Handwriting Book pages 20 and 21
Thursday - Universal Handwriting Book pages 22 and 23
Friday – Have a Great Weekend!
Reminders / Notices:
• School is closed Monday, October 10th for Columbus Day.
• Parents are invited to school on Wednesday October 12th for our Spanish Heritage Performance at 9:00 a.m.!