Theme for the month:
My Five Senses!
Enduring understandings that the student should have by the end of the unit:
• There are five senses. They are smell, taste, touch, sight and hearing.
• We use our senses to understand our bodies, learn what they need, and keep us safe.
• We use our senses to learn about the people, places, objects, and environment around us.
• We experience and interact with the world differently when our senses, such as vision or hearing, are impaired.
Lessons and activities for the week:
Pretend Play- The dramatic play center will be transformed into an apple orchard. Students will be able to explore apples with their senses.
Art- Play-doh will be added to the art center as children discuss how the play-doh feels, looks, and smells
Science- A "Feely Box" will be added to the science center. Students are invited to put their hands in the holes of the box and identify the object using only their sense of touch.
Math- Students will be able to sort objects by color, size, shape, and texture.
Library- Students are invited to look at our classroom books and discuss what they see with their peers.
Writing- Students will be able to write letters in shaving cream and discuss how it feels.
Sensory- Sand and water, or play-doh.
Some of the books we will read this week are:
• Brown Bear, Brown Bear What Do You See? by Eric Carle
• Our Senses by Adrienne Betz
Reminders / Notices:
- School is closed Monday, October 9th for Columbus Day.
- A parent questionnaire will be handed out on Tuesday. Please fill it out and return it as soon as possible.
- Parents are invited to school on Thursday, October 12th for our Spanish Heritage Performance at 9:00 a.m.!
Link to Weekly Lesson Plan
If there are any questions regarding the Pre-K for All program that can not be answered by the office or classroom teacher, please feel free to contact the
Help Line at 888-227-8175